This post contains affiliate links. I may receive a commission for qualifying purchases. See affiliate disclosure for details.
Do you suffer from dry, itchy eyes and the dreaded red eyes? You’re not alone! It is estimated that over 40 million Americans suffer from the same condition. In this article, I share my findings on the best eye drops for whiter eyes and ways to greatly reduce eye irritation.
LUMIFY is the #1 Rated Best Eye Drops for Whiter Eyes on the market today.
Originally FDA-approved as a drug to treat glaucoma, brimonidine ophthalmic (LUMIFY) also helps reduce swelling of blood vessels in the eyes. It’s in a class of drugs called alpha-adrenergic agonists, and it works by reducing fluid levels in the eye.
- Eye Drops for Red Eyes: LUMIFY significantly reduces redness to help reveal your eyes' natural radiance. From the eye care experts at Bausch and Lomb, LUMIFY works in 1 minute and lasts up to 8 hours
- LUMIFY is different: The only OTC drop to contain brimonidine. It selectively targets redness, alleviating some potential side effects associated with other redness relief drops, when used as directed
- LUMIFY contains no bleach or dyes. It’s the Number 1 Eye Doctor recommended redness reliever (data on file). Contact Lens Type: Not Recommended for Contacts
- Eye Care Experts at Bausch and Lomb: For over 150 years, we have focused on innovation and quality in eye care products, from contact lenses and solutions to eye drops, ointments, eye vitamins, and more
- Amazing Looking Eyes: We understand how important eyes are. And despite all the eye creams, mascara, eyeliners and eyeshadows, if your eyes are red, you won’t look your best
Simply put, eye irritants prevent you from having the brightest eyes you can!
After all, who doesn’t love bright, white eyes, right?
So, let’s get started by looking at some of the causes of eye redness or watery eyes.
There are a number of causes for eye redness and irritation, but let’s look at some of the more common symptoms you’re likely to experience:
- Dry eyes
- Gritty/sandy eyes
- Red eyes
- Watery eyes
- Scratch or burning sensation in your eyes
- Sensitivity to light
- Tired eyes
- Unable to contact lenses
- Filmy or blurred vision
Increased digital screen exposure time and reduced caffeine consumption were modifiable lifestyle factors associated with higher odds of dry eye disease.[source – National Library of Medicine]
There are a number of modifiable risk factors are behaviors and exposures that can raise or lower a person’s risk for dry eyes. They include:
- Low androgen levels or androgen deficiency
- Extended computer use
- Use of contact lenses
- Under going hormone replacement therapy for homone imbalance
- Environment: pollution, low humidity, sick building syndrome
- Medications: antihistamines, antidepressants
How whitening eye drops work
Whitening eye drops typically work in one of these two ways to make your eyes whiter:
- Narrowing blood vessels. Some eye drops for red eyes and pain include medications that may constrict blood vessels in the eyes. This makes the make blood vessels less noticeable.
- Moisture eyes added. Some eye drops contain moisturizers to prevent dryness. They also moisturize the whites of your eyes to make them feel better, and make eyes appear brighter.
Remember that certain causes of red eyes might require more than brightening eye drops to clear things up. A bacterial contamination, for instance, may require anti-infection eye drops recommended by a specialist.
Rated #1 Best Eye Drops for Whiter Eyes!
TOP CHOICE: LUMIFY Redness Reliever Eye Drops
WHY IT’S THE BEST: Have you ever wanted to try a product because the results looked unbelievable? Not to mention you wanted to experience the change in seconds?
LUMIFY eye drops are just like that!
Yes, the results are almost instant, and the pronounced differences here were “eye-opening”, (I couldn’t resist) to say the least.
When it comes to OTC health and beauty products, I tend to stay with what I know.
However, that is not to say I am unwilling to change or try something new.
Like many of you, I work long hours staring at a screen, often at all times of the day and night. This causes me to have eye redness and dryness more than I would like to admit.
At a recent family gathering, I was talking to a cousin of mine when he mentioned he noticed I was using Visine a few minutes earlier. He’s a pilot and red eyes are nothing new to him.
He asked if I had heard of LUMIFY, and that he’d started using them on a recommendation of his pilot friends.
He swore it was a game-changer, so I was sold. There’s nothing like a solid endorsement from a trusted source.
One of my issues with Visine is it seems like once you start using it you have to keep using it or your eyes feel worse than they did originally. Sort of like the nasal-spray effect, but for eyes.
I don’t like to become dependent on a product, so I was willing to give LUMIFY a shot.
First, they’ve got an ingredient no other over-the-counter eye drop has: low-dose brimonidine. As stated by LUMIFY, “It selectively targets redness in your eyes, which leads to a lower risk of the side effects associated with other redness relievers when used as directed.” and also, can significantly reduce redness to help eyes look whiter, brighter, and amazing for up to 8 hours.”
So, what is low-dose brimonidine, and is it safe?
There’s been a significant amount of research conducted on using brimonidine for the redness of the eyes.
I love a trusted source, so when I saw this data from the National Library of Medicine, it appeared my cousin was right.
My experience: LUMIFY is as good as advertised! They are the best eye drops for white eyes, are the most soothing, instantly whitening eye drops like no product I have ever used.
But don’t just take my word for it. Check out these reviews from thousands of satisfied users!