It’s important to know what is lipstick made of, where it comes from, and if they are the best beauty products for you.
I may earn a commission when you purchase through a link on this page.
The most popular lipsticks have changed a lot over time, but from the start of using this beauty product to today, it’s still the fastest way to elevate your glamour game.
As an Amazon Associate, I may receive a small commission (at no cost to you) on qualifying purchases which allow me to keep creating amazing free content for you. Support FitFab50 by using the links in my articles to shop. Thank you!
Whether your favorite lipstick color is a classic red, such as the NYX Professional Red Velvet, a great nude, like the Maybelline New York SuperStay Matte Ink Un-nude, or anything in between, there are a ton of options you can go with today.
>>Read also… Why are my lips always dry and peeling?
But as consumers have grown more in tune with sustainability and healthy living, we’ve also demanded to know more about the cosmetics and skincare products we use.
What is lipstick made of?
Lipstick is made of three basic ingredients: pigment, wax, and oil. The pigment is the color. Wax provides the lipstick shape, texture, as well as helps the mixture stick to your lips. The waxes can help keep the skin of your lips from drying out. Waxes also keep the final ingredient, oils, from separating from the lipstick mixture. Oils provide moisturizing and anti-bacterial properties.
Maybelline New York SuperStay Matte Ink Liquid Lipstick
- Liquid Matte Lipstick: This highly pigmented liquid lipstick features a long-lasting, no transfer formula and leaves a flawless matte finish in super-saturated shades ranging from classic red to nude to bold and bright
- Easy Application: This lipstick features our unique arrow applicator for a more precise application with a flawless matte finish that will last up to 16 hours.
Fun fact: Your Perfect Nude Lipstick is Actually the Same Color as Your Nipples!
Lipstick contains fish scales. The ingredient under discussion is called pearl essence. (Some sources give this as “pearlescence.”) It’s the silvery stuff found in fish scales that are used in some lipsticks, nail polishes, ceramic glazes, etc., to make them shimmery.
Fun Fact: Women who wear lipstick consume 24 milligrams of the stuff a day. Those who reapply several times a day take in 87 milligrams!
A red dye is extracted from the females of a scaled insect species found in Mexico and Central America. It’s been reported that more than 70,000 of these beetles are killed to produce just 1 pound of dye, which can be found in many cosmetics and other products.
Apparently, more than 50% of lipsticks in the United States contain pig fat. Other ingredients over the years have included fish scales, synthetic pearl particles, olive oil, mineral oil, cocoa butter, lanolin, and petrolatum. Sure, we are only applying it to our lips.
Best Selling Lipsticks for 2023
- YOUR FAVORITE LIP MAKEUP: This cult-classic, iconic lipstick is the perfect combination of high-impact color and a super-moisturizing formula
- ADDICTIVELY COMFORTABLE FORMULA: Super Lustrous Lipstick is infused with Vitamin E and avocado oil for a creamy, super-moisturizing, comfortable feel
- VIBRANT, LIGHTWEIGHT LIPCOLOR: We use microfine pigments so the lipstick shades are rich and high impact, but also won’t weigh you down
- 12 intense and flattering nude Lipsticks, non-drying and smudge-proof, lip color stays true all day
- Express yourself and your attitude, find your perfect nude, lips feel soft and smooth after application
- Exclusive silhouette bullet defines your lip lines for a smooth glide and coverage in just one swipe
- Creamy Hydrating Lipstick: Color Sensational Nude Lust is a rich, creamy nude lipstick. Formulated with Shea Butter, it leaves behind a sensuous feeling and a creamy finish for smooth, supple lips, with no feathering or bleeding
- Smooth And Supple: Highly pigmented lip color with a creamy smooth glide during application that leaves lips feeling hydrated, nurtured, and conditioned. This hydrating lipstick formula will take you from day to night
- Let Your Lips Do The Talking: Featuring pure color pigment, this lipstick is now available in a wide range of nude, pink, red, and plum shades that are rich, warm, and ultra-flattering. Now, that’s sensational
- Perfectly Matte: Achieving a flawless, color-intense matte finish is just a swipe away with Maybelline Super Stay Matte Ink liquid matte lipstick. Get up to 16 hours of wear with this liquid lipstick in shade Ringleader for a mid-tone mauve rose lip color
- Iconic Longwear Formula: The long lasting formula of this highly pigmented liquid lipstick gives you super saturated color in a smudge-free, matte finish. Color locks in, feels and looks fresh all day, with no transfer
- Sculpt With Precision: Get effortless, smooth application every time with the unique arrow applicator. This matte lipstick glides on easily for comfortable all-day wear. Removes easily with Maybelline Super Stay Eraser lipstick remover
- NEW LOOK & IMPROVED VEGAN FORMULA - The new & improved lipstick provides long-lasting color in a single, hydrating swipe. Try 35 Los Angeles-inspired shades in cream, matte & shine finishes.
- LONGWEAR COLOR - Forget dry, flaky lips—this super-pigmented, longwear lipstick goes on smoothly and evenly, leaving lips feeling nourished & hydrated. Find your favorite Vice shade, from sheer pink and everyday nude, to bright orange and bold red.
- HYDRATING & NOURISHING - Vice’s creamy, moisturizing formula gets a boost from aloe vera and avocado oil, ingredients known to be rich in antioxidants.
If you enjoyed, “So Exactly What Is Lipstick Made Of?”, be sure to check out other related posts below!
Claudia Faucher is a full-time fitness training expert and lifestyle blogger. She is also been a certified Les Mills BodyPump instructor for the past 5 years and a fitness instructor for over 20 years. Claudia is a personal trainer and creates fitness training programs for seniors and people of all ages. She likes to use her skills and experiences to help others on their fitness journeys.
Last update on 2023-11-28 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API