It’s important to know what is lipstick made of, where it comes from, and if they are the best beauty products for you.
The most popular lipsticks have changed a lot over time, but from the start of using this beauty product to today, it’s still the fastest way to elevate your glamour game.
As an Amazon Associate, I may receive a small commission (at no cost to you) on qualifying purchases which allow me to keep creating amazing free content for you. Support FitFab50 by using the links in my articles to shop. Thank you!
Whether your favorite lipstick color is a classic red, such as the NYX Professional Red Velvet, a great nude, like the Maybelline New York SuperStay Matte Ink Un-nude, or anything in between, there are a ton of options you can go with today.
>>Read also… Why are my lips always dry and peeling?
But as consumers have grown more in tune with sustainability and healthy living, we’ve also demanded to know more about the cosmetics and skincare products we use.
What is lipstick made of?
Lipstick is made of three basic ingredients: pigment, wax, and oil. The pigment is the color. Wax provides the lipstick shape, texture, as well as helps the mixture stick to your lips. The waxes can help keep the skin of your lips from drying out. Waxes also keep the final ingredient, oils, from separating from the lipstick mixture. Oils provide moisturizing and anti-bacterial properties.
Maybelline New York SuperStay Matte Ink Liquid Lipstick
- Liquid Matte Lipstick: This highly pigmented liquid lipstick features a long-lasting, no transfer formula and leaves a flawless matte finish in super-saturated shades ranging from classic red to nude to bold and bright
- Easy Application: This lipstick features our unique arrow applicator for a more precise application with a flawless matte finish that will last up to 16 hours.
Fun fact: Your Perfect Nude Lipstick is Actually the Same Color as Your Nipples!
Lipstick contains fish scales. The ingredient under discussion is called pearl essence. (Some sources give this as “pearlescence.”) It’s the silvery stuff found in fish scales that are used in some lipsticks, nail polishes, ceramic glazes, etc., to make them shimmery.
Fun Fact: Women who wear lipstick consume 24 milligrams of the stuff a day. Those who reapply several times a day take in 87 milligrams!
A red dye is extracted from the females of a scaled insect species found in Mexico and Central America. It’s been reported that more than 70,000 of these beetles are killed to produce just 1 pound of dye, which can be found in many cosmetics and other products.
Apparently, more than 50% of lipsticks in the United States contain pig fat. Other ingredients over the years have included fish scales, synthetic pearl particles, olive oil, mineral oil, cocoa butter, lanolin, and petrolatum. Sure, we are only applying it to our lips.
Best Selling Lipsticks for 2021
- Liquid Matte Lipstick: This highly pigmented liquid lipstick features a long lasting, no transfer formula and leaves a flawless matte finish in super saturated shades ranging from classic red to nude to bold and bright
- Easy Application: This lipstick features our unique arrow applicator for a more precise application with a flawless matte finish that will last up to 16 hours.* For Easy Removal, use SuperStay Eraser lipstick remover. *Maybelline Wear Test / April 2017
- Let Your Lips Do the Talking: Find the perfect red lipstick and matching lip liner, collect each of our exclusive lip gloss shades, or treat your lips to lip balms that heal, protect, and moisturize
- ♥ NATURAL & ORGANIC: Moisturizing lipstick which is formulated with organic butters, botanical extracts and essential plant oils to deliver antioxidants and moisturize your lips. SWEET PEA (FROST) is a light pink (frost). Great for light skin tones or to contrast with darker ones. Color may vary from computer screen to computer screen.
- ♥ CERTIFIED ORGANIC INGREDIENTS: Made with Certified Organic Shea Butter, Jojoba Oil, Castor Seed Oil, Coconut Oil, Sunflower Oil, Cocoa Butter, and more!
- ♥ CLEAN & CHEMICAL FREE: Petroleum Free – Toxin Free - Cruelty Free - Vegetarian - Phthalate Free - Petroleum Free – Gluten Free
- Long Lasting Lip Color: Our SuperStay Ink Crayon Lipstick glides a rich layer of smudge and transfer resistant matte color across your lips with effortless control that lasts for up to 8 hours of wear
- Effortless Control: Keep the tip ultra precise with the built in sharpener, so you can easily apply lip color no matter where your day takes you; Draw it on in 1 swipe with no hassle and no fading
- Let Your Lips Do the Talking: Find the perfect red lipstick and matching lip liner, collect each of our exclusive lip gloss shades, or treat your lips to lip balms that heal, protect, and beautify
- HYDRATE AND NOURISH YOUR LIPS - Velvety, creamy formula delivers hydration, rich colour, and high coverage without drying out lips, for a pout that feels smooth all day. We'll also include our easy to use sharpener, so you’re never without that perfect pout!
- SMOOTH VELVETY TEXTURE - Super soft matte lipstick and lipliner in one easy-to-use pencil. The rich, pigmented color glides on effortlessly to provide long lasting matte color so you can go out looking your best.
- LONG LASTING, SMUDGE-PROOF COLOR - Our dermatologist tested and approved lip pencil provides waterproof and long lasting wear with no feathering or smudging.
If you enjoyed, “So Exactly What Is Lipstick Made Of?”, be sure to check out other related posts below!
Claudia Faucher is a full-time fitness and lifestyle blogger. She is also been a certified Les Mills BodyPump instructor for the past 5 years and a fitness instructor for over 20 years. She likes to use her skills and experiences to help others on their fitness journeys.
Last update on 2022-06-22 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API