As an Amazon Associate, I may receive a commission for qualifying purchases. See my affiliate disclosure for more details.
If you just got inked for the first time, you’re probably wondering how long will my new tattoo be shiny? It’s perfectly normal for your fresh tattoo to be shiny. At this time, the color of your tattoo will be more brilliant. It’s fresh skin that you’re seeing since your skin is repairing itself. Again, this is a normal part of the healing process.
“Onion skin” is the term used to describe your shiny new skin. You can expect it to go away after 2-7 weeks. During this healing process, your skin will become itchy, cracked, and very dry. It is important to properly care for your tattoo to preserve its brilliance and ensure it will continue looking great for a long time.
How do I take care of my tattoo the first night?
Your artist may advise you to re-wrap the tattoo with plastic wrap (such as Saran Wrap) the first night to avoid the tattoo clinging to your sheets. This is usually reserved for tattoos that are larger or have a solid color. If your artist advised against re-wrapping, simply leave the tattoo exposed to the air overnight.
Best moisturizer for tattoo care
Tattoos are meant to be flaunted, but before you can show off your new ink, you must be sure to care for it to guarantee appropriate healing. Choosing a lotion that will keep your fresh design hydrated, free of infection, and without irritation is one of the most critical parts of the aftercare procedure.
Because a tattoo is a wound, tattoo creams are essential for not just keeping your tattoo looking nice but also for assisting in the healing process.
When it comes to selecting the best tattoo balm and aftercare products, there are two that stand above the crowd – Hustler Butter Deluxe Aftercare Tattoo Balm and Mad Rabbit Tattoo Lotion for Brilliant Colors.
Why I like Hustler Butter Tattoo Balm
Hustle Butter Deluxe is a one-of-a-kind luxury tattoo care product that may be used at any point during the tattooing process. It aids in the preparation of the skin to make it more soft and supple, provides superior glide when tattooing, and can aid in the moisturization and healing of the skin afterward.
Hustle Butter Deluxe, unlike others, does not remove stencils and does not cause clogged tubes or petroleum buildup. Hustle Butter Deluxe keeps skin pliable, minimizes redness, swelling, and bleeding, and promotes healing.
- BEFORE, DURING, AFTER: Hustle Butter Deluxe is an original luxury tattoo care product for every stage of the tattoo process. It helps prepare the skin to make it more soft supple, offers superior glide when being tattooed,can help moisturize, heal skin afterwards
- NUMEROUS BENEFITS: Unlike others, Hustle Butter Deluxe does NOT remove stencils, won’t lead to clogged tubes or petroleum buildup. Hustle Butter Deluxe keeps skin workable, drastically reduces redness, swelling, bleeding, promotes healing upon contact. Colour has never gone in so easy. Yellows, whites go in the first time, you don’t have to worry about over worked highlights.
- VEGAN INGREDIENTS: Certified cruelty-free, absolutely vegan, our all-natural butter is also petroleum, paraben free. It is made from only the finest ingredients, including Shea, Mango, Aloe butter, Coconut, Sunflower, Rice Bran oils, Rosemary Oleoresin, Green Tea, Vitamin E Complex, Mint Arvenis Essential Oil, as well as the essence of Papaya, Coconut.
- EASY TO USE: Loved by tattoo artists worldwide (as well as their clients) Hustle Butter Deluxe can be applied to the skin as-needed before, during the tattoo process. It should be applied to the skin as aftercare to improve healing as well. Many of our clients continue to use this product long after their tattoo has healed, to keep their skin moisturized, healthy their tattoo’s colors bright.
- PRODUCT SPECIFICATIONS: Package includes (1) tub of Hustle Butter Deluxe Tattoo Butter 150ml (5oz)
Why I like Mad Rabbit Tattoo Balm
Our tattoos are a huge commitment of time, money, and physical space on your body. Make them look their best while maintaining your skin’s health. From the first use, Mad Rabbit was super easy to use, and my skin felt great.
Whether you have sensitive skin or a tattoo on a sensitive area of the body, Mad Rabbit can help.
Quality ingredients are important to me. Only 7 all-natural, vegan, and cruelty-free ingredients are used to soothe, protect, and hydrate the skin. There are no harsh chemicals, parabens, or sulfates in this product.
- ENHANCE & MAINTAIN YOUR INK - Your tattoos represent a significant investment of time, money, and body real-estate. Make them look their best, while taking care of your skin. Eye-popping vibrancy from the first use.
- FOR NEW OR EXISTING TATTOOS - Enhanced depth, clarity, and contrast for all your body art. Keeps your tats healthy while also preventing ink discoloration. Maintains and restores the vibrancy you remember, now and for years to come.
- NATURAL ORGANIC INGREDIENTS - Made from only 7 all-natural, vegan, cruelty-free ingredients that will soothe, protect, and moisturize. No harsh ingredients, Parabens or Sulfates.
- GREAT FOR SENSITIVE SKIN - Whether you have sensitive skin, or you’ve had a tattoo applied to a sensitive area of the body, trust Mad Rabbit.
- WORKS ON ALL SKIN COLORS AND INK COLORS - Great for bright colored art or monochrome blacks and blues. The perfect solution, no matter how much melanin you’ve got!
Aftercare for Your Tattoo
So, how can you make sure that a new tattoo is something you don’t end up regretting? Follow these steps while your new tattoo heals.
- Be sure your artist covers your new tattoo in a thin layer of petroleum jelly and a bandage.
- Remove the bandage after 24 hours. Gently wash the tattoo with antimicrobial soap and water and be sure to pat dry.
- Apply a layer of antibacterial/Vaseline ointment twice a day, but don’t put on another bandage.
- Gently wash your tattoo area twice a day with soap and water and gently pat dry before reapplying the antibacterial/Vaseline ointment.
- Keep applying a moisturizer or ointment after you clean it to keep it moist.
source – WebMD – Tattoo Aftercare
How long will my new tattoo be shiny? – Summary
Many people have the concern of their tattoo that looks shiny after being inked. Don’t worry, shiny tattoos are a normal thing. Yes, it is normal to see the shine on the tattoo. It’s a good sign your tattoo is healing and the shine is the new skin that is showing up. You can expect it to go away after 2-7 weeks!