Many women feel wearing a thong makes them feel comfortable, especially when wearing yoga pants, jeans, or skirts. Wearing a thong can be the perfect balance of comfort and freedom. However, there is growing concern from the medical community these sexy undergarments may be harmful to your health. In the article, I will share my findings to the question, “Do thongs cause UTIs (urinary tract infections)?
Wearing a thong, or string-bikini underwear may make you feel sexy, but it can also trap bacteria in the vaginal area. This can make you more susceptible to vaginal infections and UTIs. With only a couple of inches of space between the openings to the urethra, the vagina, and the rectum, tight underwear can act as a conduit for bacteria from the anus to travel to the vaginal area.
What is a urinary tract infection?
Some women feel getting a urinary tract infection is merely a matter of bad luck. Either susceptible to them or you’re not.
After all, there’s not a lot you can do to change what happens one way or the other, right?
In most cases, you can greatly reduce your UTI risk by understanding the main causes of urinary tract infections (UTIs).
A urinary tract infection (UTI) is an infection in any part of your urinary system — your kidneys, ureters, bladder, and urethra. Most infections involve the lower urinary tract — the bladder and the urethra.
source – Mayo Clinic
What are the symptoms?
Urinary tract infections don’t always have symptoms, but listed are some of the most common signs:
- A constant urge to urinate
- A burning sensation when urinating
- Passing frequent, small amounts of urine
- Cloudy urine
- Urine that appears red, or bright pink — a sign of blood in the urine
- Strong-smelling urine
- Pelvic pain, in women — especially in the center of the pelvis and around the area of the pubic bone
There are two main types of UTIs
The most common UTIs occur mainly in women and impact the bladder and urethra.
Are there other risk factors? The following factors also may encourage bacteria to grow:
- Infection of the bladder or cystitis. This type of UTI is usually caused by Escherichia coli (E. coli), a type of bacteria commonly found in the gastrointestinal (GI) tract.
- While sexual intercourse may lead to cystitis, but you don’t have to be sexually active to develop it.
- All women are at risk of bladder infections due primarily to their basic anatomy. The short proximity of the urethra to the anus can easily lead to infection, even with proper hygiene.
- Infection of the urethra. This type of infection occurs when GI bacteria spread from the anus to the urethra.
Urinary tract infections normally occur when bacteria enter the urinary tract through the urethra. From there, it begins to multiply in the bladder.
The urinary system is designed to keep out such microscopic invaders out. But when bacteria do enter the urinary system, this often leads to a full-blown urinary tract infection.
As mentioned earlier, urinary tract infections are common in women, and not uncommon for women to experience more than one infection during their lifetimes.
Here are a few risk factors specific to women for UTIs include:
- Basic Female anatomy. A woman has a short urethra that reduces the distance bacteria has to go to reach the bladder.
- Sexual activity. Research shows that sexually active women have more UTIs than do women who aren’t sexually active.
- Birth control. Diaphragms birth control use can contribute to urinary tract infections.
- Menopause. A reduction in circulating estrogen associated with menopause can make women more susceptible to infection.
- Not drinking enough water or fluids
- Frequently holding in urine for long periods of time
- Nerve damage that makes the bladder difficult to empty regularly and completely
- Conditions that inhibit the flow of urine, such as a tumor, kidney stone, enlarged prostate, or sexual intercourse
- Diabetes and other chronic health conditions that prevent the body’s immune system to fight off infection
- Use of catheters
- Hormonal changes
- Bathroom habits. It’s important to wipe from front to back after going to the bathroom. This lessens the risk of any fecal matter or bacteria being moved from the anus into the urethra.
- Using scented sprays, or powders
- Clothes can also play a big role in making for a perfect breeding ground for infections. Tight clothing that traps moisture increases chances of urinary tract infection.
So I really want to know, do thongs cause UTIs?
Clothes can play a big role in making for a perfect breeding ground for infections.
Go for loose-fitting clothing and cotton underwear. If your favorite outfit includes a pair of super skinny jeans, just know that tight clothing can trap moisture, creating the ideal environment for UTI-causing bacteria.
For the thong lovers out there…
Some women do notice an increase in UTIs and yeast infections when they wear these undies.
You will have to choose for yourself if wearing a thong is worth the risk just to avoid visible panty lines.
While wearing a thong, fecal matter can move more easily from the rectum to your vagina, and then work its way into your urinary tract, possibly causing a UTI.
Also, tight thongs often irritate the vagina and surrounding skin, which opens you up to infection.
The good news is you don’t have to give up your beloved thongs if you take these simple precautions:
- Don’t wear the same thong for more than a day, and wear them for limited periods of time.
- Switch to a loose cotton pair of undies as soon as you develop an irritiation wearing a thong.
- When you’re not wearing a thong, consider going commando at night to allow a free movement of air “down there”.
- Choose natural fabric thongs
- Wash your underwear with hypoallergenic soap
Top thong styles to help you avoid UTIs
- COMFORT - Super soft fabric that moves with you for superior comfort
- SEXY - Low rise and cotton materials gives you the sexy looks you want
- COLOURFUL - Available in various colorful designs and comes in S-L
- COMFORT FIT - High quality fabrics make the bikini underwear soft, thin and comfy, stretch fairly well, comfortable with your pants and will not get stuck in areas;
- SEXY DESIGN - Designed with low rise, great for lounging or dancing, if you are worry it's too tight please go up a size;
- GREAT QUALITY - Material 95%cotton+5%spandex gives you a speical feeling which is quite comfortable and breathable, 100% cotton panel;
- “V” waist design: Stretch V-shaped waistband, sexy cotton thongs panties , unique design, comfort rib, stretch your body visually , perfect for low rise jeans, pants or dresses
- Cotton thongs for women: High quality cotton fabrics make the bikini thongs soft and breathable. And the crotch is a double layer of cotton for better protection. You can wear it all day without feeling uncomfortable
- Underwear for women thong: To be comfortable and sexy. Thongs reduce skin contact, perfect the curve of your buttocks, and get rid of the awkwardness caused by constricted underpants
- [MATERIAL]: 95% high quality cotton 5% spandex fabric make the thongs more soft and breathable. And the crotch is a double layer of cotton for better protection. You can wear it all day without feeling uncomfortable.
- [DESIGN]: Sexy G-string design stretch your body visually, stretch waistband will not make you feel tight, comfort rib reduce skin contact and fit your body well. Also low rise design perfect for any clothing such as skinny jean, yoga pant, sports legging & shirt/dress. T-back perfectly outline your buttocks. WOW! MY DEAR! YOU WILL BE AMAZING!
- [BEST CHOICE]: You can get 10pcs cotton thongs of 8 colors (2 black, 2 pink, white, khaki, wine red, navy, blue, beige). It can not only meet your daily needs but also the best choice for festival gifts to friends, wife and mother. No matter what body you are, there is 4 size to choice. IS NOT THIS EXACTLY WHAT YOU WANT? LESS THAN 1.60USD ONE PIECE!!!
- 1.❤Satisfaction Guarantee:If you receive the Defective Product/Wrong Size/Wrong items, please feel free to contact us for refund/replacement. And we desire to know your true ideas of all details about the items, so that we can do better at products&service accordingly。
- 2.❤Thongs for Women Size Chart:Please read the size chart before buy :X-Small(waist:24”-25”, hip:34”-35.5”); Small(waist:26”-27”, hip:36”-37.5”); Medium(waist:28”-29”, hip:38”-39.5”); Large(waist:30.5”-32”, hip:40”-41.5”); X-Large(waist:33.5”-35”, hip:42-43.5”); XX-Large(waist:36”-37.5”, hip:44”-45.5”)
- 3.❤Womens Thongs Underwear :the crotches of our panties have fine stitch with the thick purflings, which is not easy to be damaged. In addition, the crotch is made of opaque cotton fabric, which can just care the private parts of female. The lace doesn't irritate the private parts.
- PREMIUM MATERIAL: 95% cotton, 5% spandex. Crotch inner lining: 100% cotton. "Cotton undergarments are the best due to their breathability," Dr Melissa Goist, who is a specialist. The gusset was designed with 100% cotton to provide more comfort and durability to underwear, and for women, it also serves a hygienic purpose. BELIEVE ME, GOOD FABRIC IS THE SOUL OF WOMENS UNDERWEAR!!!
- PROFESSIONAL DESIGN: This sexy thongs does an amazing job of removing the material on the bottom into an area so discreet, it can be avoided panty line easily. Comfort rib reduce skin contact and stretch your body visually. If you are a huge fan of thong underwear and suffer with wedgies or bunching up in others thongs, this women cotton thong must be your solid choice. If you want to try different styles panties, just start with a simple and cute cotton thong. MY DEAR, YOU DESERVE THE BEST!!!
- SUPER VALUE 10PACK: A variety of color options make it easier to match your yoga pants, skinny jeans, sports legging, skirts, shorts, etc., Meet all your daily needs, it’s a necessary article of clothing for you and the best choice for holiday gifts. WHY ARE YOU STILL HESITATING? LESS THAN 1.60USD ONE PIECE NOW!!!
- High quality fabrics make the bikini underwear soft and comfortable.
- Material: 95% cotton 5% spandex. Hypoallergenic material. Super comft and breathable.
- Machine Wash. The fabric retains brightness with multiple washing.
You may also enjoy reading these posts:
This post contains affiliate links. I may receive a commission for a qualifying purchase. To learn more, read our affiliate disclosure.
Claudia Faucher is a full-time fitness training expert and lifestyle blogger. She is also been a certified Les Mills BodyPump instructor for the past 5 years and a fitness instructor for over 20 years. Claudia is a personal trainer and creates fitness training programs for seniors and people of all ages. She likes to use her skills and experiences to help others on their fitness journeys.
Last update on 2022-08-30 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API