As an Amazon Associate, I may receive a commission for qualifying purchases. See disclosure for details.
Ever experience a burning sensation in your chest or heartburn, usually after eating? Does it seem to be worse at night? What about regurgitation of food or sour liquid? These are just a couple of symptoms of acid reflux or GERD (also known as gastroesophageal reflux disease). In this post, I will share easy ways to prevent acid reflux and how to enjoy your life to the fullest!
What is acid reflux?
- Buy With Confidence - Beware of probiotics that claim or use deceptive advertising. Buy with confidence with Satisfaction Guarantee - no questions asked! If for some reason our product doesn't work for you, you'll get your money back - Simple as that!
- 900 Billion CFU Maximum Strength - Our proprietary strain allows your body to digest the enzymes more effectively than other brands, bypassing stomach acids for the best absorption into the intestines.
- Highest Quality - Made in the USA in a state of the start, strict and safe GMP Certified Lab in Florida for Maximum quality and safety! Buy with confidence.
- Digestive Health - The best quality Acidophilus Probiotic Supplement that Increases Calcium Absorption for Bone Density, Supports More Vitamin Production, and Supports a healthy digestive system. Fights off the bad bacteria present in the GI Tract that helps with Energy levels and digestive health. 100% organic and gluten free.
- Best Probiotics - All-Natural, Gluten & Dairy Free with No Refrigeration required! Safe and Natural probiotic Made in the USA, with No chemicals, preservatives, fillers, binders, or blenders. Strains are Guaranteed potent until expiration, providing maximum effectiveness!
Acid reflux is a chronic condition and occurs when stomach acid or bile seeps into the food pipe and irritates the lining. If you have acid reflux or heartburn more than twice a week, you may have GERD.
GERD (chronic acid reflux) happens when your stomach acid persistently flows back up into your mouth through your esophagus. You may experience heartburn, acid indigestion, trouble swallowing, feeling of food caught in your throat, and other problems.
What is acid reflux? It’s that burning discomfort in the chest that comes after eating and increases when lying down are common symptoms. Changes in lifestyle and over-the-counter drugs usually provide short relief. It’s possible that stronger medication is required.
Are acid reflux and GERD the same thing?
- [PACKAGING MAY VARY] Includes 1 (45 Count) Gaia Herbs Reflux Relief, Herbal Indigestion Tablets
- Suggested Use: Adults chew one tablet and allow to dissolve slowly in the mouth. Repeat as needed up to a total of three tablets daily or as directed by a qualified health care provider
- An herb and mineral-based indigestion supplement that combines natural sources of calcium and sodium bicarbonates with soothing organic herbs to provide relief for heartburn, acid reflux, acid indigestion and occasional upset stomach
- Our chewable tablets — made with organic Aloe, Chamomile, Licorice and Spearmint — are pleasant-tasting and help maintain a healthy stomach acid balance while promoting healthy overall stomach function
- Made with organic herbs and natural minerals. We are committed to using only non-GMO ingredients. Our products do not contain gluten, soy, dairy, meat, peanuts, sesame, shellfish, yeast or eggs
Although acid reflux and gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD) are closely linked, they are not the same.
The backward flow of stomach acid into the tube that connects your throat to your stomach is known as acid reflux or gastroesophageal reflux (GER) (esophagus). You may get a burning sensation in your chest during an acid reflux attack (heartburn). If you’re thinking about ways to prevent acid reflux, this can happen after a large meal or after drinking coffee or alcohol.
So, are acid reflux and GERD the same thing? The answer is that they are very similar, but GERD has more acute symptoms.
Acid reflux can sometimes progress to GERD, a more severe form of reflux. Frequent heartburn — two or more times per week — is the most common symptom of GERD. Regurgitation of food or sour liquid, difficulty swallowing, coughing, wheezing, and chest pain — especially while lying down at night — are some of the other indications and symptoms.
How common is acid reflux?
Acid reflux disease, also known as gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD), is a chronic digestive disorder that affects roughly 20% of adults and children in the United States.
GERD is a painful condition in which stomach acid runs back into the esophagus, causing inflammation and other complications. If left untreated, acid reflux illness can develop into esophageal cancer, so it’s crucial to know the signs and when to seek treatment.
After a meal, the stomach generates harsh acids that aid in food digestion. In a healthy person, the lower esophageal sphincter, a ring of muscle at the bottom of the esophagus, prevents acid from backing up into the esophagus, a condition known as reflux. This muscle malfunctions in persons with acid reflux disease, causing acid to back up or reflux into the esophagus.
Let’s explore ways to prevent acid reflux from occuring.
- Works to safeguard the throat & esophagus by creating a protective barrier.
- Plant Based Treatment with NO known side effects. Made from All Natural Ingredients Considered Safe for Children and Pregnant Women.
- Helps relieve hunger pains associated with intermittent fasting.
- The only alginate therapy made with 100% all-natural ingredients and Paraben FREE!
- Made from start to finish in Northern California!
The lining of the stomach is robust and designed to withstand acid, but the esophagus is not. It has a considerably more sensitive lining and does not self-repair.
As a result, acid reflux can cause burns, which are painful and can make people feel nauseated or compelled to belch repeatedly.
Heartburn, regurgitation of bitter acid into the throat, bitter taste in the mouth, dry cough, hoarseness, a feeling of tightness in the throat, and wheezing are all signs of acid reflux.
Acid reflux can be caused by a variety of circumstances, including:
- Rapid weight gain
- Certain medical conditions
Acid reflux in the morning
- NOVEL STRAIN OF PROBIOTIC, L. JOHNSONII NO. 1088: The key ingredient of GASTRICELL is a novel LAB discovered in the body of healthy individuals. It is recommended for long-term relief of recurring gastric discomfort such as overactive gastric acid production, heartburn, acid backflow, bloating etc.
- HIGH RESILIENCE AND STABILITY – L. johnsonii No. 1088 is heat treated probiotic. It is resistant to very acidic stomach environment.
- EFFECTIVE IN TARGETING THE ROOT CAUSE OF GASTRIC SYMPTOMS BY: Supporting the reduction of gastrin^ and overactive gastric acid secretion Helping to reduce H. pylori and other a such as E. coli, Salmonella and C. difficile Restoring intestinal flora. (^Gastrin is a peptic hormone that stimulate gastric acid secretion)
- HIGHLY SAFE, NATURAL, LONG-LASTING SOLUTION FOR GASTRIC CONCERNS: Included on the European Food Safety Authority (EFSA) list
- PATENTED INGREDIENT: Patented in Japan, Korea and the United States for strain, function and application (patent numbers: 4457364, 5075254, KR101061143, KR101451188, US 9243300 B2). A continual consumption of 3 months is recommended to achieve optimal result. MADE IN JAPAN
When a 2009 study found that 48.7% of participants (all with GERD) had an acid reflux episode within the first 20 minutes of waking up in the morning, the term “riser’s reflux” was developed.
The most common symptom of acid reflux is heartburn. Other symptoms include:
- regurgitation of sour-tasting acid backing up into your mouth or throat
- difficulty swallowing when food takes longer to go down, along with food is sticking in your esophagus
- chest pain
- chronic sore throat
- dry cough
- Drug-Free Relief from Heartburn: Our safe, natural alternative works with your body to relieve occasional acid indigestion and heartburn; safe for everyday use to help relieve incidents of heartburn & indigestion
- Made with Whole Food Ingredients: Each of our products are naturally drug-free and derived from whole food ingredients you know, recognize and can pronounce, like apple cider vinegar, turmeric and ginger.
- No Added Sugar, Flavors, Colors or Preservatives: Maty's natural heartburn remedy contains healthy, functional ingredients to relieve occasional heartburn and indigestion; it’s aluminum-free, talc-free, alcohol-free, dairy-free, gluten-free, drug-free and chemical-free (for chronic conditions, consult your healthcare provider)
- Intentionally Crafted Remedies: At Maty’s, we believe in the power of Mother Nature and functional foods to help you feel better, using only real ingredients to provide real relief; as with any natural dietary supplement, it may be more effective in some cases than others
- For Relief from Occasional Heartburn & Indigestion: If you are a first time user, start with one capsule and slowly work up to two; Can be taken with meals or at the first sign of symptoms for relief; best when taken with at least 6 oz of water.
Mild cases of acid reflux can usually be prevented by implementing lifestyle changes. Here are several examples:
- Avoid lying down for three hours after a meal.
- Eat smaller meals more frequently throughout the day.
- Wear loose-fitting clothing to avoid pressure on your abdomen.
- Lose excess weight.
- Quit smoking.
- Raise the head of your bed six to eight inches by placing wooden blocks under your bedposts. Bed risers are another option for doing this.
- Daily Gut Health Support: IBgard is clinically shown to promote abdominal comfort, including a combination of symptoms of cramping, bowel urgency, diarrhea, constipation, bloating, and gas
- Gastroenterologist Recommended: IBgard is specially formulated for the daily management of abdominal symptoms, shown to start working in as little as 24 hours
- Gentle, Fast, Reliable: Patented Site-Specific Targeting (SST) technology delivers IBgard where it is needed in the gut
- Ultra-Purified Peppermint Oil: IBgard is the number 1 Gastroenterologist recommended peppermint oil for abdominal comfort
- IBgard SST (Site-Specific Targeting) delivery enables fast action and helps to minimize the potential for heartburn, unlike standard peppermint oil products
There are a number of foods that cause acid reflux and heartburn. Pay close attention to how you feel after eating different foods. Your triggers may include:
- fatty or fried foods
- carbonated beverages, such as soda
- citrus fruits
- tomato sauce
- ACTIVE INGREDIENT: The active ingredient in these delayed release tablets is omeprazole 20 mg, which works as an acid reducer to treat frequent heartburn. Compare to Prilosec OTC
- TREATS FREQUENT HEARTBURN: Amazon Basic Care Omeprazole Delayed Release Tablets 20 mg treat frequent heartburn that occurs 2 or more times a week
- ACID REDUCER: Amazon Basic Care Omeprazole Delayed Release Tablets 20 mg is a Proton Pump Inhibitor (PPI) that deactivates pumps in the stomach lining to inhibit acid production at the source.
- 14-DAY COURSE OF HEARTBURN TREATMENT: Taken once every 24 hours for 14 days, Amazon Basic Care Omeprazole Delayed Release Tablets 20 mg is not intended for immediate relief of heartburn and may take 1 to 4 days for full effect.
- HEARTBURN TIPS: Do not eat late at night or just before bedtime. Certain foods or drinks are more likely to cause heartburn, such as rich, spicy, fatty and fried foods, chocolate, caffeine, alcohol and even some fruits and vegetables.
WebMD provides more specific examples of foods and acid reflux, foods that trigger acid reflux
- alcohol, particularly red wine.
- black pepper, garlic, raw onions, and other spicy foods.
- citrus fruits and products, such as lemons, oranges and orange juice.
- coffee and caffeinated drinks, including tea and soda.
Medications that can cause heartburn
- ACTIVE INGREDIENT: This product contains 20 mg of famotidine, an acid reducer for heartburn relief, which compares to the active ingredient in Maximum Strength Pepcid AC
- RELIEVES HEARTBURN: Amazon Basic Care Maximum Strength Famotidine Tablets 20 mg help to relieve heartburn due to acid indigestion and sour stomach
- PREVENTS HEARTBURN: Taken 10 to 60 minutes ahead of time, Amazon Basic Care Famotidine Tablets 20 mg prevents heartburn due to acid indigestion brought on by eating and drinking certain foods and beverages.
- JUST ONE TABLET prevents and relieves heartburn due to acid indigestion brought on by eating and drinking certain foods and beverages. This heartburn medicine lasts up to 12 hours. Use for adults & children 12 years and over. This product is gluten free.
- HEARTBURN MEDICINE: The active ingredient in Amazon Basic Care Famotidine Tablets 20 mg is an H2-blocker, which works as an acid reducer to help relieve heartburn. Lasts up to 12 hours. Use for adults and children 12 years and over.
Several other types of medications are known to relax the LES muscle and lead to heartburn. They include:
- An asthma medicine called theophylline, taken by mouth
- Narcotic painkillers
- Progesterone, a hormone found in some birth control pills
- Medicines for Parkinson’s disease
- Tricyclic antidepressants
- Certain supplements such as iron and potassium
- Osteoporosis medications
- Iron supplements
- High blood pressure medications
- Anti-anxiety drugs
Best OTC medications for acid reflux
- 60 Billion Cfus Max Strength: Our probiotic actually contains 60 Billion Cfus per serving. Other brands claim it, but beware of deception. Some products say "equivalent to" or do not state an amount of Cfus. We saw a need for high-quality supplements that actually work and stand by their claims. Our most popular probiotic brings you exactly what's on the label with 10 probiotic strains, 60 Billion Cfu, and an organic prebiotic blend.
- Probiotics and Organic Prebiotics: Our probiotics are made with prebiotics and probiotics based on clinical research. A complete probiotic supplement for ultimate digestive health. Made with 10 probiotic strains & Non-Gmo ingredients. Shelf-stable vegan probiotics with No: unnecessary binders, soy, gluten, milk, egg, wheat, peanuts, shellfish or preservatives.
- Naturally Inspired Probiotic Supplement: Contains 10 strains plus a Patented Shelf-Stable bottle which ensures product stability. Our probiotic daily blend plus organic prebiotic fiber blend naturally helps to support the stomach's digestive environment and supports the natural stomach balance. Great for gut health, and occasional gas relief, bloating relief, constipation, digestive health and intestinal health.
- Probiotics for Adults: Our prebiotics and probiotics are effective and intended for use by adults. Acidophilus probiotic with prebiotic including 10 strains: Lactobacillus acidophilus, Lactobacillus casei, Lactobacillus paracasei, Lactobacillus salivarius, Lactobacillus plantarum, Bifidobacterium lactis, Bifidobacterium bifidum, Bifidobacterium longum, Bifidobacterium breve, Lactobacillus bulgaricus.
- Safety Assured Standard of Quality: Our 60 Billion Probiotic is 3rd-party tested for purity and potency. Each bottle is manufactured in the USA using imported and domestic ingredients. Our probiotics are made for women and men. They contain 60 Billion Cfus at the time of manufacturing, more than the usual 50 Billion Cfu, plus our standard organic prebiotic blend!
When stomach contents return up into the esophagus—the muscular tube that transports food and liquids from the mouth to the stomach—heartburn occurs.
Heartburn, also known as acid indigestion, is a burning sensation that occurs in the mid-chest, behind the breastbone, or the upper section of the abdomen—the area between the chest and the hips.
The acid in the stomach’s digestive juices causes this sensation. Food or acidic liquids can be tasted in the back of the mouth by persons who have this condition.
What are my OTC treatment options?
There are three classes of OTC (over-the-counter) medications for the treatment of heartburn.
Antacids relieve heartburn (indigestion). They work by changing the stomach acid that causes heartburn. Common OTC antacids include:
Histamine-2 (H2) blockers
H2 blockers relieve and prevent heartburn. They work by minimizing the amount of acid produced by the stomach. Typically, they start to work within one to three hours and provide acid-suppression for several hours. Because acid reducers may interact with certain other medicines, it is suggested you ask your doctor or pharmacist before use if you are taking a prescription drug. Common OTC H2-blockers include:
- Tagamet HB (cimetidine)
- Pepcid Complete or Pepcid AC (famotidine)
- Axid AR (nizatidine)
See Best 31 Day Pill Organizer Review- A 31 day monthly pill organizer is simple to use and the easiest was to keep your health on track!
Proton pump inhibitors (PPIs)
OTC PPIs treat frequent heartburn (occurs 2 or more days a week) and are not intended for immediate relief of heartburn, as they may take one to four days for full effect.
PPIs are prescribed to treat gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD), stomach and small intestine ulcers, and esophageal inflammation. PPIs operate by lowering the amount of acid that the stomach produces.
If you are using a prescription drug, consult your doctor or pharmacist before using acid reducers because they may interfere with other medications. PPIs sold over the counter are only intended for a 14-day treatment period and can be used up to three times per year.
- Prevacid 24HR (lansoprazole)
- Nexium 24HR (esomeprazole)
- Prilosec OTC (omeprazole magnesium)
- Zegerid OTC (omeprazole and sodium bicarbonate)
If you enjoyed this post, return to our home page for more!