Anxiety can come in many forms. It can cause worry, unease, fear, or panic. We have put together a variety of (OTC) over the counter medicine for anxiety and stress that may provide some relief to you.
- #1 ULTIMATE STRESS RELIEF - HIGH POTENCY 1300 MG FOR BEST RESULTS: Feel like you're constantly on edge, never getting a break? Whether you're in a high-pressure job, a parent, or in school, you need some extra support. And that is OK! Balance the stress in your life with this powerful adaptogenic herb, clinically proven to lower cortisol levels naturally. Our pure ashwagandha capsules offer 1300 mg per serving, delivering superior anti-stress and adrenal support
- NATURAL ENERGY, THYROID & ADRENAL SUPPORT WITH SUPERIOR WITHANOLIDES & BLACK PEPPER FOR MAXIMUM ABSORPTION: Feel like you're on a carousel of stress and fatigue? Did you know, the more stressed you become, the more cortisol your adrenals secrete, and the lower your thyroid functions? This leads to weight gain, exhaustion and more. Thyroid support is natural with ashwagandha. With black pepper for added absorption, all you need is 3 capsules per day for complete hormonal support
- DEEPER, MORE RESTFUL SLEEP - 120 VEGGIE CAPSULES - NO BINDERS, FILLERS, OR ALLERGENS: With ashwagandha as your natural sleep aid, you’ll fall asleep quickly and wake in the morning refreshed and ready to conquer your day. Support your body's natural stress response, so you fall asleep with a clearer mind and awaken with mental clarity. Clinically proven to improve sleep quality, ashwagandha may help you fall asleep faster for more restorative rest. Two month supply in every bottle
- MADE WITH CERTIFIED ORGANIC ASHWAGANDHA ROOT FOR NATURAL MOOD SUPPORT: Do you deal with the ups and downs of depression and anxiety? Do you find it easier to get out of bed some days than others? Ashwagandha is clinically proven to reduce feelings of anxiety & depression by balancing your hormones and managing everyday stresses. Our natural ashwagandha supplement is certified organic by UDAF and contains only root extract for maximum effectiveness and superior withanolide concentration
- SUPERIOR IMMUNE BOOSTER - MADE IN THE USA & 3RD PARTY TESTED FOR SAFETY AND PURITY: How have you been feeling lately? High levels of cortisol from stress weakens your immune system but ashwagandha is clinically proven to increase protective proteins & white blood cells, bolstering your natural defenses. Strong immune boosting properties increase the effects of your body's natural killer cells. Our supplement is made in the USA and 3rd party tested for safety & purity
According to the Anxiety and Depression Association of America, generalized anxiety disorder (GAD) affects around 6.8 million adults. Other anxiety disorders include panic disorders and phobias.
The treatment options for anxiety disorders include therapy, medication, or a combination of both. There are natural supplements that have been shown to help with everyday anxiety. However, not all supplements are safe or effective.
- MAGNESIUM CALCIUM SUPPLEMENT: All the benefits of multi-award winning natural vitality’s calm in a great-tasting raspberry-lemon gummy that helps support healthy magnesium levels and a sense of calm
- STRESS RELIEF: Our Natural Vitality anti-stress remedy gives your family the essential nutrients they may be lacking to feel more relaxed and to support healthy brain development and nervous system support
- MAGNESIUM GUMMIES: A vegan and gluten free Anti-Stress Gummy that is formulated with magnesium and a balance of calcium for mood support
- CONVENIENT AND KID FRIENDLY: Perfect for the whole family, at home or on the go, these raspberry lemon flavor games are kid friendly and adult approved
- AWARD-WINNING: Featuring the No1 best-selling magnesium supplement, Natural Vitality’s Calm, this Award-Winning chewable gummy is a winner of 2018 Remedies Stress
But the main question is—are they safe? Do they work? What are the pros and cons?
Below we will address each of these questions to assist you in choosing options of over the counter medicine for anxiety and stress.
- Below we will address each of these questions to assist you in choosing options of over the counter medicine for anxiety and stress.
- Safety of Over The Counter Medicine for Anxiety and Stress
- Pros and Cons of OTC Medicines for Anxiety
As an Amazon Associate, I may receive a commission for a qualifying purchase.
- 100-count pack of Benadryl Ultratabs Antihistamine Allergy Relief Tablets each containing 25 mg of the antihistamine diphenhydramine HCl for allergy relief that works when you need it most
- Active ingredient, diphenhydramine HCl, provides relief for hay fever or other upper respiratory allergy symptoms and cold symptoms like sneezing and runny nose
- Works when you need it most with an allergy medicine in small, convenient antihistamine tablets that put your allergies to rest
- Provides allergy medicine for sneezing; runny nose; itchy nose or throat; and itchy, watery eyes and cold symptoms like sneezing and runny nose
- Allergy medicine tablets for multi-symptom allergy relief intended to be used by adults and children ages six and up for relief of both indoor and outdoor allergies
Benadryl contains antihistamines (the main active ingredient), which are used to manage allergic reactions. However, they can also cause sedation as a side effect. Benadryl is often used for anxiety due to the calming and sleep-inducing side effects that it can have.
Dosage. Benadryl takes 15 to 30 minutes to start working and its peak effect happens around 2 to 4 hours. A typical adult dose to obtain sedating effects is between 25 and 50 milligrams.
One of the biggest advantages of using Benadryl to treat anxiety and stress is that it is quick-acting and convenient. This can be helpful if you need instant anxiety relief medication. Since Benadryl causes many people to feel drowsy, it may also help you fall asleep.
- 5-HTP enhanced super formula - We supplemented 200mg of pure 5-HTP with clinically proven serotonin synthesizers, SAMe and L Tryptophan. Tryptophan is metabolized into 5-HTP in the body, while SAMe is a well-known serotonin booster. In addition, both ingredients have been indicated to help 5-HTP conversion to serotonin, creating the ideal synergistic mood booster.
- B6 for improved serotonin conversion - Our formula includes a high dosage of Vitamin B6, the main co-factor necessary to convert 5-HTP into serotonin. Vitamin B6 has been clinically shown to aid 5-HTP conversion into serotonin, while even slight B6 deficiency can greatly inhibit the efficacy of 5-HTP.
- Mood, anxiety & sleep support - 5-HTP is the primary precursor to serotonin production in the body. Increased levels of serotonin have been scientifically shown to promote positive mood, anxiety relief and better sleep.
- Doctor-driven, science backed - Bringing Dr. Emil’s unique knowledge as both a medical doctor & recognized authority in the supplementation field (he’s also a former pro athlete!), our blends are painstakingly formulated to provide superior results and are always backed by science - free of gimmicks, fads & false promises.
- Only the right stuff - All Dr. Emil products are made from all-natural vitamins, minerals & herbal extracts, without the use of harmful additives; NON-GMO and free of hormones, gluten. All products are manufactured in the USA in a GMP certified laboratory.
There are several herbal remedies that have been shown to provide some relief of symptoms of anxiety and stress and are generally considered safe to use. Some of these remedies are as follows:
Herbal remedies are found in the form of teas, sprays, pills, or oils. The calming effects of herbal remedies are generally mild. Carefully review each remedy for the suggested dosage.
While these herbal remedies are not strong enough to effectively treat serious anxiety issues, they are best used to help you calm down or fall asleep.
Cold Medicines and Painkillers
Certain painkillers may act on parts of the brain that control the experience of emotional pain.
- NEUROTRANSMITTER SUPPORT: GABA is naturally produced in the body and its presence within the central nervous system may help promote relaxation and ease nervous tension. Take 1 capsule 2 to 3 times daily as needed, preferably with juice or water on an empty stomach.
- GAMMA AMINOBUTYRIC ACID/WITH VITAMIN B-6: GABA (Gamma-Aminobutyric Acid) is a non-protein amino acid that functions as a neurotransmitter in the human brain.
- CERTIFICATIONS/CLASSIFICATIONS: Non-GMO, vegan/vegetarian, made without gluten, kosher
- GMP Quality Assured: NPA A-rated GMP certification means that every aspect of the now manufacturing process has been examined, including our laboratory/testing methods (for stability, potency, and product formulation).
- Packaged in the USA by a family owned and operated company since 1968
Vitamins and Minerals
Most people know that vitamins and minerals are important for their overall well-being, but can they be used to reduce stress and anxiety?
There are several vitamins and minerals used to reduce stress and anxiety that offer varying degrees of relief:
- GABA (Gamma-aminobutyric acid) is an amino acid and neurotransmitter located in the brain that is crucial to serotonin production. Since serotonin is one of the nervous system’s most powerful, “mood-enhancing” neurotransmitters, GABA plays a significant role in mood regulation and relaxation.
- How to use it: Many vitamins improve anxiety by affecting GABA levels in the brain, GABA can also be consumed directly through supplements to reduce anxiety symptoms.
- Licorice Root. People this of licorice root for its sweet taste and is traditionally used in many candies. However, this herb also carries many health benefits for people with anxiety because of the effects it has on the adrenal glands. Licorice root can also provide relief for gastrointestinal issues, which is a common symptom for many people with anxiety.
How to use it: It’s best to consume licorice in an extracted, purified form. It is sold in capsule, powder, tea, and chewable tablet forms.
Safety of Over The Counter Medicine for Anxiety and Stress
The overall safety of over-the-counter medications for anxiety and stress depends on what you are using and how the manner in which you are using them. Top safety concerns to consider include:
- Drug interactions: Always consult with your physician about what OTC medications you are taking. There is always a risk of interaction between the supplements you just started taking and the medications you have already been prescribed or are taking.
- Intended use: Most natural anxiety supplements you might take, which may be approved by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) as safe, may not be intended for treating the condition you are taking them for.
- Long-term effects: The majority of OTC supplements are not intended to be taken long-term. In addition, there may be no research on long-term use.
- Side effects: It is important to be aware of the potential side effects of any herbal supplements you take and to contact your physician if you experience any of these issues.
Pros and Cons of OTC Medicines for Anxiety
While there are some advantages to taking OTC remedies for anxiety, there are also a number of potential drawbacks to consider. Before you take any kind of OTC medication for your anxiety, be sure to talk to your doctor to help avoid adverse effects and medication interactions.
- May aid sleep and relaxation
- Easy to obtain, affordable
- May be useful for short-term bouts of anxiety and stress
- May cause drowsiness
- Not effective for severe episodes of stress and anxiety
- Not approved by FDA for treating anxiety
- Carries potential side effects
Be sure to discuss your symptoms with your physician and get their guidance for using any OTC medications and herbal supplements.
Can you use Benadryl (diphenhydramine) for anxiety?
That might be a question you have if you are living with anxiety and don’t like traditional medications or have not yet visited your doctor. Beyond Benadryl, there are also other over-the-counter (OTC) medications that you might consider using for anxiety.
Who Should Use Over-the-Counter Medications?
Most people purchasing over-the-counter natural anxiety medication would probably benefit from professional help in the form of talk therapy or prescribed medication. Alternatives to anxiety medications may offer relief for mild cases and provide relaxation at bedtime.