Loud sounds can destroy the sensitive structures of a dog’s middle and inner ear, just as they can in people. Like many of you, I am a dog lover and will take all measures to protect their well-being. In this post, I share my list of the 9 best noise canceling ear muffs for dogs as well as other great products to protect our best friends.
Dog suddenly sensitive to sound
Loud sounds can destroy the sensitive structures of a dog’s middle and inner ear, just as they can in people.
- ThunderShirt is already used by millions of dogs and may help alleviate anxiety symptoms in your dog
- Recommended for thunder, fireworks, separation anxiety, travel, general anxiety and vet visits*
- Vet recommended and very easy to use; ThunderShirt is safe and drug-free*
Extreme noise, on the other hand, can harm the eardrum and the ossicles, which are tiny bones in the inner ear.
When an animal stops reacting to noises or orders, pet owners or dog handlers are likely to notice.
Older dog sensitive to noise
Older dogs may become more sensitive to noise as a result of stress and worry.
- SOFT, EXPANDABLE FABRIC DOG CALMING HOODIE: Pet Hoodz works well on small dog breeds all the way up to large breeds. Our dog hoodies come in 4 different sizes: Small, Medium, Large and X-Large. We offer 4 different colors as well: Blue, Black, Lavender, Grey and many more colors to come in the near future! Our dog calming hood has been tested on hundreds of dogs with many satisfied customers around the world.
- GROOMING TOOL RECOMMENDED BY GROOMERS, VETS AND SATISFIED CUSTOMERS: Groomers love Pet Hoodz's very durable and washable blend of materials which acts as a great calming aid during blow drying time. If your dog is scared of loud noises, this is a great way to calm them by simply wrapping the Pet Hoodz around your dog’s head. Pet Hoodz is also effective for other uses such as dog hearing protection, dog noise cancelling, dog ear muffs for scary sounds such as thunderstorms and more.
- COMFORTABLE STRESS REDUCER PRODUCT FOR DOGS: Our ear wraps for dogs provides a comforting effect that will soothe pets. This product complements and can increase the efficiency of other calming remedies such as dog anxiety vests, fireworks and separation anxiety jackets, stress collars and calming scarves.
You might suppose that this is the case because hearing loss is common in older dogs.
Dog noise anxiety
Dogs with noise anxiety have a phobia or a significant sensitivity to loud noises, such as fireworks or thunderstorms.
It can produce a variety of neurotic behaviors in dogs, as well as lead them to flee in panic and become lost.
Dog noise phobia
Unfortunately, no amount of explaining or comforting can assist a dog that is scared of the noise.
- In clinical testing Composure is shown to work within 30 minutes and lasts up to 4 hours
- Composure calming formula includes Colostrum, L-Theatine and Thiamine; all recognized ingredients to support calmer behavior and relaxation without changing the personality of your pet
- Easy to administer chicken Liver flavored chew that your pup may think is a treat! Best results occur when given 30 minutes prior to stress causing event
Noise phobia is a frequent issue for dogs all around the country.
According to various estimates, between 5 million and 15 million dogs suffer from acute noise phobia, prompting their owners to seek therapy.
What causes noise phobia in dogs?
A noise phobia can affect up to half of all dogs. However, only 16 percent of owners said they would seek medical guidance from their veterinarian for their dog.
This suggests that for every three instances seen in practice, 17 cases may go unnoticed. (source – K9 Unversity of Chicago)
For dogs, noise anxiety can cause a variety of symptoms with varying degrees of severity.
- A Safe Way To Calm Your Dog With Organic Hemp + Natural Ingredients - These calming aid supplement chews are easy to give your dog and will help combat anxious behavior. Using natural ingredients like Valerian Root, Ginger, and Organic Chamomile these chews are great for dogs exhibiting nervousness, hyperactivity, discontentment or environmentally-induced stress
- For Behavioral Problem Management + Stress - It's so hard to watch our dogs suffer from fear, anxiety and stress. These natural chews help dogs maintain a normal and relaxed disposition, whether it's during separation, travel, motion sickness and tension caused by changes in your pet's daily routine or behavioral issues such as aggression, barking and hyperactivity.
- Premium Natural Ingredients Give Results - No Added Sugar, Wheat, Corn, GMOs Or Harsh Preservatives - At PetHonesty we're committed to premium quality ingredients and strict safety standards. Our calming dog supplements are natural, are Made in the USA with only the highest-quality US and globally sourced ingredients like Organic Hemp, Chamomile, Valerian Root and Ginger.
Fear of thunder may induce some trembling and clinging to their person on the less extreme end of the spectrum.
On the other hand, it might result in frightening fleeing, destructive gnawing, indoor defecation, or even leaping through a plate glass window!
It might be tough to determine what caused your dog’s noise phobia.
However, you may be able to link the onset of your dog’s fear to a traumatic event, such as being too near to a fireworks display or a lightning strike with its accompanying thunder boom.
See also… DNA tests for dogs reviews
How does a calming collar work?
Is your dog barking too much? Are they always pacing, panting, whimpering, or hiding? Fear and anxiety may be the source of these actions.
ADAPTIL is a drug-free, veterinarian-recommended treatment that helps your dog feel more relaxed.
The ADAPTIL Calm On The Go Collar sends “comforting signals” (dog appeasing pheromones that mirror a mother’s nursing pheromones) to help dogs feel calm and comfortable in circumstances such as loud noises (thunderstorms and fireworks), being alone at home, traveling, or other frightening situations.
Only dogs can detect these odorless signals, which provide a powerful sense of security and contentment. It helps to lessen troublesome behaviors by helping your dog feel calm and less agitated. These pheromones have no effect on cats or humans.
The collar is simple to use; easily place it on your dog’s neck, and their body heat will activate the relaxing pheromones, making your dog feel peaceful throughout the day.
Each collar should be replaced every 4 weeks to ensure optimal efficacy. Grooming and washing should be done without the collar, but otherwise, your dog can wear it at all times.
Adaptil calming collar reviews
Here are what customers are saying…
“Within a few days I could tell a difference…and it’s been two weeks now and it just keeps getting better. He will spend hours now in another room sleeping and doesn’t follow me obsessively. “
Another customer writes…
“I have an anxious and youngish rescue male dog , this collar has been a god send, as it has calmed him in social situations with other dogs as well as making him more of a contented home bod, he loves nothing more than spending happy time with his human family,”
- ADAPTIL is the #1 vet recommended and selling solution to help calm and relax you dog wherever they go
- Effective and drug-free solution may help to comfort dogs during stressful situations such as staying home alone, training, loud noises like thunder or fireworks, and fears
- May increase focus during training sessions
Does loud music hurt dogs ears?
Dogs, like humans, can develop hearing loss if they are exposed to loud noises such as music over an extended period of time.
According to a study published in the journal Topics in Companion Animal Medicine, loud noises can harm the sensitive structures of a dog’s inner and middle ear.
See also…Best clippers for dog grooming
Hearing protection for dogs
It is critical to preserve your dog’s hearing, whether they are hunting dogs or simply sitting around a gun range.
Loud noises of various kinds can harm a dog’s hearing, just as they affect people.
Without protection, dogs may lose their hearing as they age, especially if they are frequently exposed to loud noises.
See also…Best dog beds for cars
Dog ear protection
If you’ve ever visited a dog kennel or an animal shelter, you know how loud the barking can be. Noise cancelling ear muffs for dogs can provide great protection against ear damage.
It can literally induce Noise-Induced Hearing Loss in the dogs who live there (NIHL). Hearing protection for dogs can help you prevent this.
Dog ear protection for shooting
A dog’s hearing is critical for both the dog and the handler’s safety, especially for working canines such as military, police, search and rescue, and service animals.
The earmuff method involves tightening two cupped covers that fit over your dog’s head with the purpose of encasing your dog’s ears with elastic or velco straps.
The straps are designed to wrap around your dog’s head and under his lower jaw.
Working dogs must be able to take in their surroundings and hear orders, but canines with NIHL are unable to do so, putting everyone at risk.
Dogs, like people, can get NIHL from persistent loud noises such as truck or helicopter transport, gunshots, or even a nearby building site.
See also – Long leash for dog training
Best noise reduction ear muffs – Dog ear muffs
Mutt Muffs DDR337 Hearing Protection for Dogs
One of the top-selling dog ear muffs is Mutt Muffs DDR337 Hearing Protection for Dogs .
They provide over-the-ear protection for dogs and are specially designed wide foam-filled ear seals for maximum comfort.
They provide passive sound reduction to guard against hearing damage. If your dog fears certain sounds, such as thunderstorms or fireworks, please understand, he very likely will still fear it at a lower decibel.
While these earmuffs do not incorporate noise-cancelling technology, they are not recommended for fireworks or thunderstorms.
Mutt Muffs are a type of passive noise reduction device. Your dog will be able to hear, just not as clearly as before. They will not be able to completely remove sound.
Mutt Muffs are made to protect your ears from injury.Mutt Muffs DDR337 Hearing Protection for Dogs, Black, Large
Dog Quiet Ears, Dog Ear Muffs Noise Protection
The full-wrap shape of dog ear muffs creates a swaddling effect, which relaxes, comforts, and protects dogs, making them feel safe and secure.
Ideal for use in automobiles, airports, and other noisy places with dogs, as well as to protect them from loud noises such as thunder and fireworks.
It’s ideal for bathing, blow-drying hair, and trimming toenails. While brushing your dog at the grooming facility, keep him relaxed and stress-free.
Both the dog and the groomer will feel safer wearing this sweatshirt, and the owner will be able to relax and enjoy the grooming procedure. This stress-relieving dog ear cover will impress even the most sensitive of dogs.
Cotton knitting technique is used to make dog earmuffs. The fabric is fully breathable and does not impede your dog’s breathing. Machine washable and foldable for simple storing.Treonca Quiet Ears for Dogs, Dog Ear Muffs Noise Protection, Pet Christmas Warm Caps Puppy Cat Hat with Ears for Medium to Large Dogs (Grey)
SGQCAR Quiet Dog Ear Muffs Noise Protection Pet Ears Covers Knitted Hat Anxiety Relief Winter Warm Earmuffs
The strong elasticity of the relaxing dog ear coverings makes them ideal for most medium and large dogs.
It has a two-layer design, with cotton knitting on one side and short fleece on the other. It is easy to clean and put on and take off, and it is machine washable.
Reduce noise, reduce anxiety, avoid wind and dust, keep ears warm and dry, and keep them away from food trays, among other things.
It can be used in a variety of noisy circumstances, including thunder, fireworks, automobiles, airports, and so on. Bathing, blowing hair, grooming, festivals, gatherings, and trekking are all possible uses for the dog neck and ear muffs.SGQCAR Quiet Dog Ear Muffs Noise Protection Pet Ears Covers Knitted Hat Anxiety Relief Winter Warm Earmuffs for Large Dogs Barking Gray
Anxiety wraps for dogs
In addition to ear protection, No products found. are vest-like clothing that helps stressed dogs relax. The vests function on the principle that applying pressure to a dog’s torso has a soothing effect, akin to swaddling a wailing baby or embracing a troubled person.
How do anxiety wraps work?
When worn properly, anxiety wraps distribute pressure over the back and sides of the dog’s chest, serving as a calming “hug.”
Scientifically, gentle pressure releases chemicals called endorphins that promote a sense of well-being. That’s why stroking a dog firmly and slowly calms him down while a quick pat on the head gets him more excited.
Calming earplugs for dogs
Crittear is an industry leader in earplugs made for dogs.
Thier specialty dog earplugs provide an instant calming effect. Reliable, and reusable, noise suppression for your canine companions.
Sound muffler for ears
The Original Happy Hoodie for Dogs & Cats – Since 2008 – The Grooming and Force Drying Miracle Tool for Anxiety Relief & Calming Dogs
Happy Hoodie was designed as a grooming equipment to calm and protect dogs from the high-pressured air and loud noise associated with force drying.
Its soft compression decreases noise and creates a swaddling effect for pets, which relaxes, comforts, and protects them.
Happy Hoodie aids in the calm and cooperative behavior of agitated, unpleasant, or aggressive dogs. You’ll want to have this dog anxiety soothing product in your grooming to
Most dog breeds can use the original, high-quality soft, expanding cloth band, which comes in three sizes.
By relaxing agitated, disagreeable, or sensitive dogs during any potentially stressful circumstance, such as toenail removal, clipper work, brushing, bathing, Happy Hoodie saves time in the grooming salon and adds to a safer environment toolkit.
Best noise cancelling headphones for dogs
When it comes to true noise cancelling headphone for dogs, Pawnix is the industry leader.
How does a Noise-Cancelling Headset work?
Using a combination of passive noise cancelling (specialized foam inserts) and active noise cancelling (wavelength technology), Pawnix has been able to produce superior noise reduction for dogs currently unparrelled in pet market.
Vet recommended dog ear cleaner
Finally, no dog ear protection treatment is complete without proper cleaning and care.
Pet MD ear wipes are premoistened wipes to keep ears free from dirt, waxy build-up and discharge.
Pet MD soothing wipes for alcohol-free and infused with aloe vera and eucalyptus oil for gentle, antiseptic cleaning and fresh smelling ears!
Support FitFab50 by using the links in my articles to shop. As an Amazon associate and many other brands, I receive a small commission (at no cost to you) on qualifying purchases which enable me to keep creating amazing free content for you. Thanks!
If you enjoyed Noise Cancelling Ear Muffs for Dogs, be sure to see my other related content below.
Claudia Faucher is a full-time fitness training expert and lifestyle blogger. She is also been a certified Les Mills BodyPump instructor for the past 5 years and a fitness instructor for over 20 years. Claudia is a personal trainer and creates fitness training programs for seniors and people of all ages. She likes to use her skills and experiences to help others on their fitness journeys.
Last update on 2022-08-30 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API