This site contains affiliate links. I may receive a commission for a qualifying purchase. See affiliate disclosure for details.
How much does it cost to clean area rugs using carpet professionals?
So, how much does it cost to clean area rugs? The average cost of cleaning an area rug is between $50 and $300, or $75 to $150 for an average-sized rug of 4 by 8 and 6 by 10 feet. The cost of rug cleaning ranges from $1.25 and $8 per square foot. What you can expect to pay is determined by the cleaning method used, the type of material of your rugs, as well as where you live.
How to clean an area rug at home
Area rugs are a substantial investment in decor for many of us. They brighten and color our spaces. They provide safe havens for video gameplay, movie viewing, and sleepover parties. Rugs, on the other hand, must be maintained in order to survive for years. Regular cleaning is an important aspect of such upkeep.
While you should vacuum carpet twice a week, you should only deep-clean an area rug when it is unclean. If the rug isn’t obviously dirty (or smells unpleasant), do this test: Simply take up a rug corner and flip it down into the floor. If a little cloud of dust floats up, it’s time to clean.
Certainly, you may have a rug cleaned off-site by carpet cleaning specialists, but it won’t be inexpensive. However, if you’re prepared to put in a weekend of work, you can do a terrific job cleaning a rug at home on your own.
Step 1 – Remove any loose dirt or debris by vacuuming
For this first step, it is important to vacuum both sides of the carpet. Not surprisingly, the back of your carpet can collect plenty of dust, and dirt.
Step 2 – Test a small section of your rug for colorfastness with your carpet cleaner
Note – Never use hot water, as it may cause colors to bleed or may damage carpet fibers
Here are a few carpet cleaning products I recommend you try:
- COMPACT CLEANING SOLUTION: Everything you need to clean spots or whole rooms. Includes 4 lb Carpet & Rug Dry Cleaner powder, 24oz Soil Release Pre-Mist and a bonus carpet brush (handle not included). With Capture Powder Cleaner, the spots do not reappear and act like heavy-duty sponges to absorb dirt and spills.
- BEST CARPET CLEANING SOLUTION: Safe for all types of carpets including Wool and Code S fabric, silk, surfaces, and material. Take care and prolong the life of floor carpet fabrics and appearance by deodorizing and cleaning it using the power of Capture Carpet Cleaner.
- STAIN REMOVER & DEODORIZER: Excellent bad smells neutralizer. It eliminates the toughest stains and odors without steam or shampoo. Can be used in the car or home, on animal, dog or cat pet stains. Plus, the 4lb pail can clean up to 400 square feet.
- Every BISSELL purchase helps save pets. BISSELL proudly supports BISSELL Pet Foundation and its mission to help save homeless pets.
- Our most powerful formula for tough, ground-in dirt and stains.
- Removes tough odors.
Step 3 – Slowly apply the cleaner into the rug and let it sit for several minutes
Scrub the carpet cleaner or detergent deep into the rug with a brush or sponge, until you’re seeing soap suds. Let the solution stay on your rug and work for several minutes before rinsing.
Step 4 – Rinse off carpet cleaner with a hose
Rinse the rug with a hose (outside, of course), and make sure soap suds are no longer present before stopping.
Step 5 – Use a squeegee to remove excess water
Using a heavy-duty window squeegee is the perfect tool to squeeze excess water out of the rug. With the cleaned rug lying on a clean flat surface, press the rubber-edged blade firmly against the rug and pull to get out as much water as you can. Be sure to only pull in one direction to prevent carpet damage. Be patient. You may need to do this several times to remove excess water.
- Floor Squeegee Ergonomic Principle: The Angle of the pole and EVA part conforms to the ergonomic principle, which can be used to use the squeegee with less effort, so that cleaning can be simple and convenient.
- Floor Squeegee Telescopic Pole: The iron pole length can be adjusted from 43.3 inches to 54.3 inches, you can just open the lock on the pole to adjust.
- Floor Squeegee Broom RAPID DRYING: Extensive drying efficiently,saving the hassle of extra drying.
Step 6 – Allow area rug to thoroughly dry out
To dry, lay the rug on a flat surface. Flip the rug over every few hours to ensure it is dry on both sides. Drying time can vary based on the temperature and humidity level of your location, as well as how much water was applied during the cleaning process.
Step 7 – Vacuum the rug to loosen compacted carpet fibers
As your carpet dries, fibers may become stiff or compacted. Lightly run a vacuum or use a soft-bristled brush over your area rug to loosen up the fibers. Return your newly cleaned rug to the floor!
How much does it cost to clean area rugs yourself?
The cost to clean area rugs yourself depends on a) the size of your carpet, and b) the products and tools you select to use. In general, you can expect to save 70% by cleaning an area rug yourself versus hiring a professional.
The process of cleaning area rugs at home is really not difficult. It just requires a couple of hours and very little expertise to restore your rugs to their original glory.
Here are some carpet cleaning supplies to have on hand before starting
Gloves to protect your hands from soaps and cleaning supplies
- A global market leader in disposable hand protection for more than 20 years
- Made of a proprietary TNT Technology that protects hands in the event of a chemical splash
- Soft, flexible nitrile blend is comfortable to wear
- Deeply cleans and refreshes area rugs.
- Removes stuck on dirt.
- Formulated with a refreshing linen mist scent.
Heavy-Duty Squeegee for Removing Water from Rugs
- 12-inch Squeegee is constructed of durable stainless steel for tough jobs
- Ergonomic design preferred by professional window cleaners
- Works easily with any Unger Pole for extended reach
- DURABLE BRISTLES - Durable quality for long, useful life. Come with 2 clean brushes.
- ALL-PURPOSE HEAD - Raised handle keeps hands away from water and harsh detergents, pointed tip fits into tight corners and along edges for a thorough clean.
- USED WIDELY - PHYEX brush can be used for a range of cleaning applications. Ideal for cleaning carpet, floor, bathroom, kitchenware, tile, patios, decks,etc.
- Make the carpet more fluffy: you can brush the carpet gently with this silicone carpet brush, which can make your carpet more fluffy and soft, and the soft silicone brush head will not break your carpet
- Quality material: the carpet rake is made of silicone material, it can make the carpet or carpet more smooth and fluffy; The handle of the carpet brush is also made of silicone, which is slippery, very safe and convenient to use
- Multiple functions: this carpet cleaning brush not only can applied to brush the carpets, but also can be applied to quickly clean the dog's hair on the sofa, carpet and bed; It can be gently brushed directly with the brush, the excess hair will run to the brush without using a vacuum cleaner
Claudia Faucher is a full-time fitness and lifestyle blogger. She is also been a certified Les Mills BodyPump instructor for the past 5 years and a fitness instructor for over 20 years. She likes to use her skills and experiences to help others on their fitness journeys.
Last update on 2022-06-22 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API